Saturday, December 08, 2007

Faith in America

I just watched Mitt Romney's speech on "Faith in America" and was quite impressed. I was impressed how he framed his ideas in terms of the moral foundation of the Declaration of Independence - much as Lincoln framed his arguments against slavery not in any formalism in the Constitution, but on the Declaration. I was impressed by his bold declaration of belief in his Mormon faith, and his unwillingness to reduce that faith to mere "tradition." I was impressed by his articulation of religion as a dynamic force in American public life, his interpretation of constitutionally-established religious freedom as neither a religion of secularism nor an endorsement of any one particular religion. He did this in a manner much clearer and more inspiring than I've ever seen before. While I remain decidedly undecided as far as which candidate to support for president next year, I will certainly consider this.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thanks for posting this - I had heard about this speech, but hadn't found a way to listen to it! (And thanks for actually posting something!) haha