Tuesday, May 15, 2007

España - 19 de mayo 2007 - Toledo


I quote from my journal with slight editing.


Trip to Toledo today. I was a bit upset by how things were run, and it represents a trend of neglect by the Mester language school that is ticking a few people off.

Usually we've had the culture teacher as our guide, so while at times a bit dry, she treated us well and we had enough time at each site to be able to learn quite a bit. Today, there was a different lady plus some unknown dude who acted as our guides.... First we went to El Museo de la Santa Cruz, which someone told me used to be a hospital. There was some Visigodo stuff and a neat courtyard; but, we walked through so fast and with so little context that I can tell you no more than that.


We saw a statue of Cervantes, blazed through a synagogue-turned-museum (too fast, once again), went to way too many stores, and saw the outside doors only of the cathedral. The only part I really enjoyed was when we had maybe two hours of free time and the weather turned just a tad rainy and I walked with some folks along the gorge cliff of the Río Tajo - pretty!

Overall, disappointed. How do you say that in Spanish?


The answer is estar desilusionado. Toledo is cool, we just had a sub-optimal experience there. Spain is super pretty! It reminds me a lot of eastern Washington, even down to the wind generator turbines up on the horizon. By the way, I picked up something for Mike there....

I'm giving you a picture of my roommate, Chris, as well. He's got a bit of "gangsta" blood in 'em, in case you can't tell in the photo.


This Sunday we went to the Salamanca branch's meetings. I was amazed by how few times I got lost paying attention to the talks and lessons.

2 comments:

Tallia said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to see all that you wanted to. I'm excited to see what you got for Mike!

Admin said...

I hope you have spent a good time in Salamanca. You can have a look at the pics in Mester web page
http://www.mester.com/base/gale.asp